The Grimnessesluis or bridge #202.
A short traffic bridge bridging Rokin and Oude Turfmarkt in the center of Amsterdam.
The bridge of Grimnessesluis was first was constructed in 1546. In Dutch, grim means “muddy ditch” while sluis means “lock/sluice gate”. The neighbourhood around the canal was called Grimmenes. Hence, Grimnessesluis.
Over the centuries, Grimnessesluis has been a source of inspiration for several artists. One such artist recorded was Rembrandt van Rijn who drew “View of the Grimnessesluis” in pen and brown ink, in brown wash.
Unfortunately, due to city redevelopment the original bridge was demolished in 1868.
📍right next to Allard Pierson Museum